Derek C. Woodruff AIFD, CFD, CF, PFCI launched his career in artistic floral design at the young age of 16. He initially studied the trade at Jackson Area Career Center where he became certified by the Michigan Floral Association (CF). He also studied floral design at Lansing Community College and Michigan State University, and then with the American Institute of Floral Designers. His early experience in the retail floral setting allowed him to learn the business and hone his technical skills, which prepared him for creating his own floral design business in 2009. Armed with his passion, unique style, and abilities, Derek has since earned the prestigious appellations of AIFD, CFD and PFCI.
In addition to achieving this recognition by professional organizations, Derek’s love of a good challenge has won him many titles in floral design competitions including the distinguished Chuck Bannow Award, Michigan Floral Association Designer of the Year (Twice), the AIFD’s celebrated Bobbi Cup (twice) and also runner up in the SAF’s prestigious Sylvia Cup Competition. Derek also had the unique and fortunate experience of being a finalist as a competitor on The Arrangement, a reality floral design competition show on the LOGO network.
Currently, Derek co-hosts a floral design web series produced by Syndicate Studios. He demonstrates his techniques for creative and artistic floral designs and provides tips for using popular and new materials introduced by Syndicate Sales, a key producer of distinctive containers and supplies for the floral industry. In addition to the web series, Derek sits on Syndicate’s Retail Advisory Council. His vision on the Council helps to set the trend for new products and keeps Derek at the forefront of the industry.
Awards & Certifications:
- CF, Certified Florist (Michigan), earned 2002
- Associates Degree, Northwestern Michigan College, earned 2009
- CFD, Certified Floral Designer, American Institute of Floral Designers, earned 2009
- AIFD, Accredited in Floral Design, American Institute of Floral Designers, earned 2010
- Published nationally for floral designs: Florist Review, OK, Professional Florist, Florist Shopper (Magazines)
- 2010 Young Person of the Year, Michigan Floral Association
- Contestant on “The Arrangement”, the world’s first floral design reality competition show on LOGO network
- 2011 Designer of the Year, Michigan Floral Association
- 2011 Chuck Bannow Award Recipient, Michigan Floral Association
- 2012 Bobbi Cup Champion, American Institute of Floral Designers
- 2014 Designer of the Year, Michigan Floral Association
- 2014 Bobbi Cup Champion, American Institute of Floral Designers
- 2014 Sylvia Cup Runner-up, Society of American Florists